Mumbai, Jan 25 (PTI) A “short circuit” triggered a fire in a BEST bus in Mumbai’s Bandra area on Wednesday afternoon, officials said. Nobody was injured in the accident, they said.
The CNG-powered bus with 20-25 commuters on board was on route no. 51 (Santacruz to Colaba) when the driver noticed sparks coming from the gearbox around 1.15 pm, they said.
The driver stopped the vehicle, which was on Turner Road, while the conductor asked the commuters to get down, said the Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST) administration.
A fire brigade official said that two fire engines and an ambulance were sent to the spot and the fire was hosed down in a few minutes.
But the bus was completely gutted, they said.
BEST officials said non-AC bus was a wet-leased one and belonged to operator Mateshwari.
The public transporter has more than 3,000 buses in its fleet and nearly 30 lakh commuters use its services every day. PTI KK NR NR NR